By Molly Watson, About.com
Mashed Root Vegetables
Mashed potatoes are well-known, as are mashed sweet potatoes (often sweetened with brown sugar). Other root vegetables like parsnips, turnips, and celery root are also delicious mashed – either on their own or with the more traditional potato.
1. Peel root vegetables and cut into large, even chunks. Put them in a pot and cover with cold water.
2. Bring to a boil. Add salt. Cook until vegetables are very tender, about 20 minutes.
3. Drain thoroughly; return vegetables to pot over heat; shake pot to cook off any excess liquid, about 5 minutes.
4. Put vegetables through a ricer or mash with a large fork or masher. Add cream, butter, milk, and/or buttermilk and salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
Other recipe ideas and helpful ideas when making Mashed Root Vegetables
- How to Make Perfect Mashed Potatoes
- Radish Mashed Potatoes
- Mashed Potatoes, Turnips & Carrots With Horseradish
- Rutabaga Potato Mash